Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wilderness-man

When the people followed Jesus into the wild-er-ness in mark 8, what were they going on? I mean, Jesus did not say "If you do this, i'll feed you", or "You will see financial blessing!". He didn't even say "Don't worry, you won't die." He just went, and they followed.

It's crazy because, even though he did feed them after 3 days, they had nothing else to go on other than trusting that he knew what he was doing--that he knew where he was taking them. If they had died following him, it would have been to his glory. They went with the knowledge that, "Hey, wait. I could die doing this. But that's ok."


That
is actually what Jesus expects. Our death is something that we need to be comfortable with. Jesus actually believes more in my death than I do (thanks Rflu), so when he does something absolutely crazy like lead me 3 days into the wilderness, he's not thinking "Man, I sure hope he can handle this, otherwise..." No way! He's operating out of the truth of me already being dead, so death isn't an issue.

So here I am. The wilderness. I will die if i go back now. I could die if I stay here. That's something that I'm slowly becomming ok with. All I really know is the guy that I'm following.

2 comments:

grando said...

good stuff bro

Mikey said...

one thing that really hit me on sunday was when fluetsch mentioned that it probably didn't start out with 4000 people. it was probably a much larger crowd, and slowly over the course of those three days, people went home. these were the troopers, man! men, women, boys, girls, and babies. like fluetsch said, REAL families. and yet, jesus tells us to sit! amazing God.