Tuesday, April 28, 2009

jam star

I've been pondering about creative things lately, and there is one thing that I would like to re-affirm: corporate creativity is great. Creative clustering is something that i really like, and still wish i was part of in a bigger scope. example.

I have always enjoyed writing. I would like to start/join some sort of group, like the Inklings. we could meet on tuesday nights at some pub and smoke pipes and read our work to each other and give each other pointers.

I also really enjoy being able to just play music with someone. When you're alone its great too, but when you and somebody are just trackin' on some groove together, magic happens: harmonies break out, riffs are conceived, emotion audibly produced, its just great. I have always loved having a musical friends, but now more than ever i really just want to find someone that is more than a friend.... more like a ... buddy? yea, that sounds right.

i think with all creativity though comes quite a bit of discipline. I recently purchased a book called "Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy" by Orson Scott Card (phenomenal writer--both as a fiction writer and as a teacher) and read it in about a week. I really feel like writing is a major aspect of my creativity, yet there is something that has kept me back from going public with most of my ideas/work. One of the things that Card mentioned was that discipline isnt something that you just decide to go get, but its something that comes from within you. it's already there, you just need to tap into that. (strangely, this also ties into the Gospel in several allegorical senses....MDCCers can totes agree with that.)

So applying this to a larger area of my life, i realize that what i have now, in my head, in my notebook, saved on my computer in a .band file, its not always going to be what im creating and thinking of tomorrow. tomorrow i will move on to something else. So forming those ideas, allowing them to shape however they may, and embracing them now, thats what fulfills these creative urges that i feel.

so i spent about an hour or two today really just writing. why wait? came up with a few pages of stuff. thats a pretty sizable chunk. I have the whole summer to do this kind of stuff. its really great.

on a related note, for all of you that arent aware, i caught a sneak-peak of my brother's band's new cd... QUITE good. i was, with all honesty, not expecting much, because theyre just a local band, but this music literally blew me out of the water. its really good. thats all i can say about it though.

and completely unrelated: i kinda hope i get a job working outside this summer.

what a rant.

3 comments:

KURT said...

I really enjoyed reading this////back space back space, tap into it man. I really need you to write a fantasy transcript/scroll

Brantley said...

i have never felt more creative in my life than when i am collaborating. thats so true. i miss you zacheus. love.

linds said...

that will be a $50 royalty for using my middle name in your blog title young sir! ;)

glad to have you with us this weekend my little brother.