Thursday, June 18, 2009

Recollections 1

I remember once when i was little my family went out to eat somewhere. I remember looking at this guy (back then i would stare at people a lot without realizing it) who was working at this place. As he was working, however, he suddenly looked up and noticed the 11-year-old me staring at him. Upon making eye contact i quickly lowered my head and counted to ten. i then slowly looked back up at this man.

When i looked up, he was making the most--no offense--retarded, goofy, creepy face--so much so that i remember thinking ''this guy is actually mentally challenged!''. He was still looking right at me. I was so ashamed and embarrassed that i looked away immediately.

I have given this experience much thought, and I came to a conclusion a few years later. This guy was NOT mentally challenged. He was a normal dude. He just saw me starting and made the most frightening face he could muster.

and to this day, I find myself doing the same exact thing to kids that stare at me.

3 comments:

Mikey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mikey said...

yes!

joan.ekimball said...

How touching Zach.
My grands would love that.....